Bulong

this image is owned and copyrighted by Star Cinema Productions
Ok, so i have to do this fast because I have barely 30 minutes to finish this review because I forgot my effing charger back at home. Last Valentine's Day, I checked myself out together with some friends to watch Bulong after a lot of convincing. I said, "Give this movie a chance" and "Come on, it's freaking Chito Rono film" but somehow, when I was lost for words, 2 came out to be the most powerful "MY TREAT!" I really considered it since there were only three of us.

Bulong has been on the run for a few weeks now. Rarely that I go to a cinema that shows local movies and this one is done without coercion. Bulong is a Vhong Navarro movie and I have been quite disappointed with his past movies particularly "Mr. Suave" and "D' Anothers" which are both senseless in every possible way.The thing made me buy this movie is the name Chito Rono who is very commendable in working with Horror films.

Bulong's main concept came from a superstition (?) that when you whisper your wishes to the dead they can bring these wishes to God and ultimately, your wishes will be granted. Any nursing student have done this before? I did. I asked one of the dead during my duty at the hospital to pass the Board Exams. I don't know if it really contributed but I did not lose anything in that moment. I don't have to pay the dead. Anyway, Vhong has love problems and resorted to such activity and eventually, did not just get his wishes come true but even more.

One of the wonders of this film is that it does not follow the usual comedy formula. The horror scenes are overshadowed by comedy and you will just realize, it is a comedy film.

When I watch movies from Star Cinema, they usually have their best scenes seen in the trailer - Bulong is a lot different. It has a lot of surprises to spare. I have never laughed so hard to a filipino movie since Ang Tanging Ina Part 1.

Bulong is a wondrous surprise for 2011. The special effects in this movie are superbly done although they might still have to polish more on the "diablo" but over-all, it was amazing. The humor is well plotted and not offensive. Vhong stays to be a good comic while Angelica maintains to be a very versatile actress. Prior to Bulong, Chito Rono is yet to surpass Feng Shui, but then, here it is. Bulong sets a standard in terms of Horror-Comedies.

Bulong is like a hot dish served and surprises its audience once they get the taste of it.

GRADE: B+

Comments

Popular Posts