Clash of the Titans (2010)

It seems that I am expanding more in terms of Blogs, and so, for my opener, I will review Clash of the Titans.

3D movies are a hit nowadays. It is a good thing that even here in our local theaters in Iloilo has 3D theaters on it. I was ecstatic whe I heard that there will be a Clash of the Titans movie that will be released in 3D, however, such ecstatic was replaced by doubt when I first read Ebert's review when he saw the movie in 3D and described it unworthy to be watched in such. And so, I decided that I will watch the movie in its regular format - 2D.

I am filled with anticipation since the trailer holds a promise with its viewers that indeed we are in a treat. I heard about the 1981 version and I spared myself from watching it and instead watched it after the 2010 version.

I know we are bombarded right now with Greek myth-related movies such as Percy Jackson but hell anyway, I have to watch this. And so, I watched. Checked my watch every once in a while. Bad omen. Checked my phone almost every 5 minutes. Worse. I am getting bored. I know I shouldn't be but I can’t help it.

The opening visuals are stunning and might probably work in 3D. Some of the scenes that were shot were specifically made in 3D. Imagination helps. However, as the movie progresses, there are some scenes where the camera moves too much that (through my imagination) watching it in 3D might cause me headaches. Visually, it is an eye candy, however, I am not really a fan of how Medusa looks like, the way Pegasus looks like. I don’t want to be racist or something, but I think Pegasus would look better if he were in white.

How the movie differs from the 1981 version is very obvious. They changed some of the plot from the original that makes it more intriguing and more engaging. They made the new version more updated although they failed to surpass the original. The original has depth in terms of plot, the new one is like Perseus is there but I do not really care what will happen to him.

Sam Worthington comes back in the genre that made his name – Eye Candy movies. If you would follow his filmography, he was a part cyborg-part human in Terminator: Salvation, the guy in Avatar and now Perseus. He seems to be everywhere, but said to say, I don’t really approve a Greek in an Aussie accent.

The movie is somewhat a disappointment but nevertheless, a movie that can even spark a little interest… Just a little.

GRADE: B-

Comments

Popular Posts